Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Wedding Wednesday.



Some of you showed interest in hearing about the marriage study our small group is doing so I thought I would start a new Wednesday series discussing it. Since our iMarriage study was lost in the mail we started Rock Your Marriage and love it so much we thought we would finish the sessions. The first talk was about building your marriage on the rock based on Jesus' sermon found in Matthew 7:24-28.

"'Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.' 28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching."

I needed to hear that. I thank God everyday that I have an amazing husband who prays with me, defends me, and looks to God for guidance and discernment. We have a marriage built on the rock. Does it me we're perfect? No. Does it mean we never fight? No. Does it mean the winds and rain don't beat down? Def not. But I know that no matter what we face our marriage is built on a strong foundation that continues to get stronger. With that being said, I know I could use some improvements. I started reading my Bible during lunch everyday and getting my quiet time with God. I also started reading theology books again and redeveloping that love.

Our small group made the challenge to start praying together as a couple. This is something Garth and I used to do every morning in our first year. Unfortunately this is something that has faded, but I'm glad we have this challenge to get us to start making time to pray together every night before bed. I cherish this time and am so thankful we are making this a habit again.

The session also talked about the problem with marriages today is they are based on feelings. Gary Chapman said marriage is "not to make us happy but to make us holy." That is so profound. I cannot look to Garth to make me happy. I look to God for fulfillment in my life. That being said, I'm guilty of letting my feelings take over my relationship. Work gets hectic and I take it out on Garth that night. I hate that I let my feelings get the best of me. I am really trying to not let this happen and to give it to God. I'm hoping my quiet time with God will help me grow up in my faith.

Garth and I came into this marriage with the motto that if God put us together it was because "we would be better together than apart." We truly believe God put us together because we could bring glory to Him better together than apart. We aren't perfect and it's not easy as there are always distractions in life, but we needed this talk to remind us of this motto and to help us not get so caught up in the mundane and to live outside ourselves to bring Him all the glory. We are a work in progress and I'm excited to see what God will do with us!

6 comments:

Anne said...

this is great Lindsey, and a good reminder to me as well. Jill was telling me how marriage has a way of bringing out a persons insecurities and it is so true. I can't look to Andrew to fill me, I need to be filled with God and know that He loves me and makes me whole. And that Andrew is a blessing, and a partner in life with me- not the be all, end all. But hard to do b/c I feel as women we just want to be so loved and to feel secure by our husbands! I do think tho, that they are more free to love us if we come in less needy. Something to work on! :) thanks for sharing..

Lauren said...

great post! I can't to hear more about your series. What a solid rock God provides in regards to marriage...there have been so many times when I wasn't sure what we would if we didn't have prayer to turn to!

A Nerd and A Free Spirit said...

That Gary Chapman quote from "Sacred Marriage" is one of my all time favorites. I love that book. It was really quite life changing for me - I read it right before we got engaged/married. (-: Thanks for sharing.

~Kathryn

Adrienne said...

This is so great! Hubband and I are in our first year of marriage, so it's super encouraging to read about blessings God is pouring out into other couples' lives- especially across the country! Thanks for sharing!

Stacie said...

Great post, can't wait to hear more about your series!

LWLH said...

Love this!
I was very interested in this series and can't wait to hear more.