Thursday, February 9, 2017

Weekend Getaway to South Haven and Holland Part 2

If you missed part 1 of our trip you can read it here.


Saturday started with another fantastic breakfast. This morning was an apple crepe with a side of sausage. I'm not a huge sweets fan, but oh my goodness. This was delectable. Fresh, sweet, tart, and the whipped cream and pecans complimented it so well. 



The yogurt and granola is always a favorite of mine at Martha's. It's fresh and sweet and filling.



I love grapefruit and I think I would eat it more if it was already cut up for me, ha!



After a relaxing, lazy morning we checked out and headed to Saugatuck. We walked around the cute downtown and headed into Fenn Valley for wine tasting. What can we say? We really love their wine!









Next up we walked over to Tabor Hill Winery. The wine was good and it was crowded, but everyone was friendly and fun.



Based on the Yelp reviews and the guests at Tabor Hill we decided to head to The Southern for lunch. Good food and great views? SOLD.



I had a Greyhound. How have I never had this cocktail before? I'm obsessed.



We shared the Famous Fried Chicken with baked beans, sauerkraut, and biscuit. G and I both declared it the best fried chicken we ever had. The chicken was crisp on the outside and so warm and juicy on the inside. We also declared the biscuit with butter the best we ever had. The biscuit was warm, flaky, fresh, and buttery. With the butter it was over the top delicious and felt like a warm hug. 


G had never had sauerkraut before so we had to order it. I love it! And who knew it paired so well with fried chicken? It took the chicken to a whole new level. YUM. I want that meal again!



After lunch we grabbed coffee at Uncommon Coffee Roasters which is always good. The Cafe Miel (honey and cinnamon) has me coming back every time. So delicious.


We headed to Oval Beach (looks a lot different than when we went for my birthday!) and enjoyed our coffee before heading out.




We had originally planned on coming home afterwards, but we couldn't pick Manny up from boarding until Sunday due to weird hours so we looked around and found a great deal and decided to stay one more night. Look at me being spontaneous! We booked City Flats Hotel and headed to Holland. We checked in and G wanted to check our their sports den.




It was a cool theater room with comfy seats that reclined and played sports and then a waiter came and took our order. Fun! 


We had a gift card from checking in so we splurged and G had a French 75 and I had the Cinnamon Sangria.



Then we started our drink/snack tour around Holland like we did last time we were here. Our first stop was Butch's because it was our favorite last time. G had a Cucumber Basil Martini and I had the cosmo. My cosmo was a bit too sweet and too tart and I wished I had G's drink. But it was happy hour and you can't beat a $4 martini!



Our next stop was Mizu Sushi based on Yelp reviews and it was amazing. I'm on such a sushi kick right now and this hit the spot. The Tempura Cali Roll was insane! But I'm getting more daring and have been enjoying rolls with raw salmon and eel in them too. 



Next up we walked over to Hops at 84 because the atmosphere is cool and you get 15% off your bill when you show your City Flats key card. I had a beer flight and G had a chocolate martini.


The homemade pretzels with Gouda beer cheese dip sounded too good not to try. Unfortunately it was not as good as it looked.



Lastly we headed to The Curragh for beer cheese soup to end the fun evening. The soup was probably some of the best I ever ate. It was so flavorful and I swear soup tastes better on a cold day when you have been walking all over downtown Holland.


Sunday morning we slept in on the most comfortable bed ever. Then we walked over to Lemonjello's Coffee for some kick butt coffee. Delightful! G and I shared the caramel and vanilla latte with two shots and it was everything coffee should be. Perfection. 


We checked out and went to Lake Michigan one last time before heading out. We drove straight to my parents house to celebrate G and Eric's birthday before picking up Manny. And that concludes our super fun vacation on the west side. 

1 comment:

anneseverydaylife said...

Sounds like a great trip! I bet Marthas is beautiful in the winter! I loved some eggs think she made, but in general I thought her breakfasts were too sweet! Looks like you guys had fun tasting all the local cuisine's :-)