Friday, November 25, 2016

Book Review (Edition 2)

I am still on a kick of reading and making it a priority right now. I'm enjoying reading an hour or two each night before I go to bed. It's the best way to unwind for me and I think I sleep better because of it. Here is what I've read recently. If you have any recommendations I would love to hear them in the comments!


The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney looked interesting. I had heard mixed reviews about it so I was curious. I was engaged the first 100 pages or so and mildly curious about what happened. There are a lot of characters to keep track of and I wasn’t loving the book, but I was still interested so I kept plugging away. It was at about the 100 page mark where yet ANOTHER character was introduced that I lost interest completely. I could barely keep up with all the characters as it was and to add another put it over the top for me and I quit reading. You win some you lose some, right? Of course, I did read the last few pages just for closure, ha! Anyone else do that?


Beautiful Day by Elin Hilderbrand was another good one. I read it during a super warm week in October that felt like summer again which just makes the book even more enjoyable. I mean it is fun reading a summer beach read in summer weather, right? Hilderbrand does it again with another engaging book that I wanted to see how it ended. I was connected to the characters and enjoyed the fun, easy read.



The Lifeguard by James Patterson was my second book of his to read. I loved his first one so much so I had very high expectations for this one. It did not disappoint. I started it on a Saturday and could not put it down and ended up finishing it that same evening. So, yeah. I liked it, ha! It was suspenseful and fun and I could not wait to see how it ended!



The Guest Cottage by Nancy Thayer was recommended to those who love Elin Hilderbrand books and I heart Hilderbrand. Thayer has a similar style as Hilderbrand and her books are based in Nantucket as well. I love a good beach read and this fit the bill. It was interesting and a fun read. I like Hilderbrand books better, but it was a feel good book. It was a little long and seemed to drag, but I enjoyed it and would read another one.



Along Came a Spider by James Patterson is the first in his Alex Cross series. I had really high hopes for this book because I heard rave reviews on this series, but I was disappointed. I found the book a little too dark and the bad guy a little too evil. It was long and seemed to drag. I also had no trouble putting it down which was a first for me. Usually I can't stop reading his books (see above, ha!). I felt meh after reading it and even had nightmares so I'm going to take a little break from Patterson books for bit.


Better Than Before by Gretchen Rubin was a good read. It is a lot of the same material she talks about in her podcast Happier, but it was a good reminder and fun to get a deeper dive on how to get better at habits. The information really is life changing and makes a lot of sense. Rubin does her research which I like. I plan to start implementing some of her tips to keep exercising. I highly recommend this book!

So that is what I'm reading lately. Have you read any good books lately?

No comments: