Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Vacation Recap: South Haven



(What's a road trip without Queen?!)

Last weekend we took a little three day getaway to our favorite bed and breakfast in South Haven, Martha's Vineyard. It was our fourth time there and it was just as perfect as our other stays. It is just so relaxing and peaceful. It is the perfect place to unwind, set goals for our next year of marriage, and spend quality time together.



We dropped Manny off at boarding Saturday morning and drove to Douglas for lunch. We usually go to Everyday People Cafe. It's one of the main reasons we stay in the area and I'm not even joking about that. It's that good. But my parents and a few others mentioned Wild Dog Grille which is right across the street so we decided to try something new.



We ordered beers and checked out the menu. We heard they had great ribs which G was all about, but they only serve ribs after 4:30. Bummer. We decided to stay though and I'm so glad we did. I ordered the Zucchini Soup with Korean Dill. Oh. My. Goodness. It was the best soup I ever had.



It was so creamy. Flavorful. With the unexpected dill that added a spice I didn't know I needed. Perfection. I have never asked for a recipe at a restaurant before, but I asked (begged?) for this recipe. No such luck. I ended up ordered ANOTHER bowl of this to go to eat with my leftovers as dinner that night. 



So the soup was good if you didn't catch that. I also ordered the Spinach and Artichoke Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Another winner! It was delicious.



Garth ordered the pizza and loved it. He ate his leftovers for dinner that night too. Nothing makes me happier than getting two good meals from one place/price. The atmosphere was really fun, the service was great and I think we will definitely be back here next time we're in town.



After lunch we headed to Saugatuck to do some wine tasting. Tabor Hill was our favorite because the guy doing the tasting was passionate about wine making and very informative. Love that. After two stops to wine taste we just walked around the cute little city, window shopped and enjoyed the sunshine.



We checked in around 4:00. We told the inn keeper how this is our fourth visit and we were talking about our favorite restaurants in the area and recommending movies from the library and then she gave us a tour of the upstairs since we had never seen it before. I love places like this and supporting them. They are so passionate about what they do and really good at what they do! We had a low key night and ate our lunch leftovers for dinner. Perfect start to the mini getaway!



Sunday morning we woke up at 8:00 and took a walk around the grounds. At 9 a.m. on the dot there was a knock on the door and breakfast was delivered!



It was a delicious feast of pineapple, strawberries, homemade granola yogurt, sausage and an apple tart. I'm a picky eater, but I loved ALL of it. So good! See also, breakfast in bed is my favorite thing ever.



After that deliciousness it was time to walk it off. It was about 40 degrees and sunny. Such a breath of fresh air! 



Lake Michigan was still iced over, though we could literally hear the ice cracking which was really cool.



Even though we couldn't hear the waves, it was still pretty breathtaking.



I heart Lake Michigan. 



After a good, long walk we were ready for a late lunch and I wanted soup to warm up! The cream of cauliflower soup at Clementine's hit the spot.



G ordered the ribs and declared them some of the best! I get their fried zucchini because there really is nothing like it. It is the BEST fried zucchini I have ever had and I've had some good fried zucchini before! If you're in South Haven, you gotta check this place out. I didn't even get paid to say that. It's such a fun atmosphere with a friendly staff and yummy food. It's a must whenever we are in town.



After lunch we walked around downtown South Haven. We window shopped at the cute shops, walked in the neighborhood and gawked at the cute houses. We saw the cutest English Bulldog in this furniture store (the owner's dog) and we stopped in to play with her for a while. Garth mentioned before being dog owners we would never go into a store just for a dog, ha! It was getting closer to dinner and we were about ready to head back to our room to relax in the hot tub so we stopped at Taste for a coffee martini and ordered take out for dinner later that night. We never order a cocktail at a bar so it was a fun little treat!



I loved this frame wall at the restaurant. I had to snap a picture because G and I want to recreate it at home.




We relaxed in the hot tub for a bit and then warmed up our food from Taste. We shared the cilantro chicken and fries. It was really good! The cilantro creama that came with the chicken was amazing.



I'm on quite the soup kick so I also had a side of the Parmesan Tomato Soup and that was an excellent decision. So. Good. After dinner we watched Dallas Buyers Club and The Butler. Both were excellent movies with terrific acting, but both were just so intense and so SAD. 



Monday morning we slept in until right before breakfast came. Perfect timing! Today we had cinnamon pears, an egg and sausage quiche with roasted potatoes and a homemade cinnamon bun. Holy yum! Delicious. Do you see why I didn't weigh in last week? I firmly believe calories don't count on vacation. After breakfast we packed up and headed home. We wanted to stop for lunch before we left the area, but we were still so full.


We picked up Manny from boarding, unpacked, and caught up on our shows. It was 60 degrees so we took Manny for a really good walk too. I think he was happy we were home since he wanted me to hold him like a baby, ha! It was a fun weekend. Relaxing. Good, quality time with my boo. Rest. Rejuvenation. Just what a vacation should be! Now I'm ready to get back into the grind and embrace spring.

2 comments:

Anne said...

What a great vacation!! How relaxing and the lake looked beautiful! In the future I'll have to check out that b & b, the only one I ever went to you had to come down for 'family breakfast' at 8am, I really like this one where they bring it to you and you dot have to chat with strangers! I don't mind chatting, but not at 8am... Haha

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you guys had so much fun!! It's crazy to think, now, but after our honeymoon (which was actually a total bust), we hadn't been on a trip just the two of us until our 5th anniversary... Absolute craziness! It was amazing, though, and only missed celebrating our 6th in the same way because I was sick. Womb womp. Either way, we are hooked on our one-on-one vacays, now.

Marriage rocks!