Friday, November 1, 2013

Fit Friday!

This week was was okay. I knew we had something every night this week so I didn't meal plan and it's true what they say, "if you fail to plan you plan to fail." In my case, I wouldn't say it was failing. It just wasn't the progress I had hoped for...

The stats this week:

Pounds Lost: 0 pounds
To Go: 40


Of course it's a little discouraging to maintain two weeks in a row. At the same time, I did eat a lot of processed food this week and had a few beers on Halloween with friends. But I didn't gain so that is great. I lost 5 pounds in October and I'm proud of that. If I can up my game this month I can lose another 5 to 8 pounds this month and be 10 to 12 pounds lighter by Thanksgiving. That would be great! That is doable! Lets do this thing!!!

A dear friend and accountability partner sent me this article and I loved it. I just adore how open, honest and vulnerable Oprah is about her struggle. That is brave. This article really inspired and motivated me to get back on track this week. Here are a few thoughts she shared that really resonated with me:

"I don't have a weight problem—I have a self-care problem that manifests through weight."

***

"I have to stay fully conscious and aware of every bite, of taking time and chewing slowly. I have to focus on being fully alive, awake, present, and engaged, connected in every area of my life. Right now."
***

"What I've learned this year is that my weight issue isn't about eating less or working out harder... It's about my life being out of balance, with too much work and not enough play, not enough time to calm down. I let the well run dry. "

***

"When I stop and ask myself, 'What am I really hungry for?' the answer is always 'I'm hungry for balance, I'm hungry to do something other than work.' If you look at your over scheduled routine and realize, like I did, that you're just going and going and that your work and obligations have become a substitute for life, then you have no one else to blame. Only you can take the reins back."

***

"My goal isn't to be thin. My goal is for my body to be the weight it can hold—to be strong and healthy and fit, to be itself. My goal is to learn to embrace this body and to be grateful every day for what it has given me."

***

"I, dare all of us give ourselves all the love and care we need to be healthy, to be well, and to be whole?"

Wow, right? Isn't Oprah awesome? I can identify with so much of this. I really needed to hear these words this week. I know my life is a little out of balance right now. We are so busy I have no time to rest and rejuvenate. But it's the season we are in and it's all good things and with some careful planning next week can be better. I can carve time out for me. To relax. To meal plan. To rest. 

How do you do it? How to limit processed food by making healthy unprocessed food choices when you work full time? I need your ideas!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Hey..I read your blog all the time, I just have never commented. I have the same sort of weight struggle you do and have been working my butt off trying to drop pounds and I'm doing it a pound or two a week and it's awesome. I meal plan prior to every grocery shop we do and we only grocery shop once on the weekend. I spend Sunday morning getting something together in the crock pot which directly goes into containers for our lunches at work. I make little egg white muffins for breakfasts on the go. (I'm still iffy on these, my fiance loves them) During the week we try to not eat any pasta, bread, white potatoes so just basically a meat and then a few veggies. Then on the weekend we will be a little more lenient and have potatoes or pasta one night. That way I don`t feel like we`re totally depriving ourselves of that. I walk the dogs every morning, go to zumba twice a week and do a few weight training routines a couple times a week and that`s all for working out because I just don`t have the time for it. Sorry I wrote a novel I just know exactly how you feel and thought I would share something that has luckily been working for me! Take Care!

Courtney said...

Hey have you ever tried weight watchers? I tried to lose weight for the past year and never succeeded. And like you it's not like I had a ton to lose. I have been on weight watchers for a month and have lost 10 pounds. I highly recommend it!! They make it so easy.

Renise said...

Like Mandy when I grocery shop I do it with my meals in mind. One big trip at the beginning of the month and then only again mid month for fresh veggies and fruits. When I know we're having a busy week I make sure to make something on sunday - usually a one pot or crockpot meal for lunches and have at least one meal planned that doesn't require remembering to thaw meet - Generally Salmon Patties or vegetarian chili - easy to make with very little prep.
And like Courtney I think weight watchers is really good. It's especially good for the accountability factor of the meetings!