Thursday, July 11, 2013

In the Moment

I mentioned here how I have trouble living in the moment. I’m always waiting on the next big thing. The next vacation. The next weekend. The next fill in the blank. The one thing I really have been trying to savor is summer time. It is such a beautiful, relaxing, fun season in Michigan, but it is also fleeting. We have been hosting BBQs, sitting on the deck as much as possible, walking after dinner, and going to the lake. I feel like I’m doing a great job enjoying summer.

But then I noticed yesterday as I scrolled through Pinterest how everything was about fall. Pumpkins. Cider recipes. Fall decorations. Fall clothing. Fall. Fall. Fall. So I start thinking about the cooler weather and going to a cider mill and wearing a cider...

STOP!

I had to literally stop myself from going there. From looking ahead. From not living in the moment. As a commenter wrote me, living in the moment is not for the faint of heart. It requires bravery. Persistence. You must fight to be in the moment and fight to stay in the moment.

It truly is a battle every single day for me. Not just when I browse Pinterest. When I'm at work and it's a crazy day and I think ahead to 5:00 so I can relax. Or when I have such a hard time waking up and I dream of Saturday morning when there will be no alarm clock. It is so easy to do. 

I just need to be. Breathe. Relax. Enjoy the moment I'm in right this second. Sure, work may be crazy, but at least I have a job. Sure, waking up at 5:30 isn't always easy, but I have a Savior that I should be cherishing and looking forward to spending time with in devotionals.

Do you have any tips or tricks on how you live in the moment? I would love to hear it. 

1 comment:

Renise said...

Love this!
My live in the moment tip - put the phone/camera down. Sometimes we are so wrapped up in capturing the moment for later, we forget to see it through our eyes. Instead we view it through the tiny screen of our phone or camera. The world around us is so big and full it can't possibly be captured in the view finder. Sometimes it just needs to be seen! Watching people at concerts trying to record it and get it in focus instead of enjoying the show just about kills me!