Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Die Daily



 We finished Not a Fan by Kyle Idleman in my work Bible Study a few weeks ago and I still can’t stop thinking about it. The basis of the six week video series is “Are you a follower of Jesus or just a fan?” Idleman said, “Twenty times in the New Testament, Jesus Christ issued a compelling and challenging invitation: ‘Follow Me.’ Jesus is not interested in mere fans. He doesn't want enthusiastic admirers. He wants completely committed followers.”

Obviously, it is much easier to be a fan. We can easily justify our actions, judge others, decide not to love those who hurt us, etc. Jesus even warned the path to life is narrow and few find it (Matthew 7:14). I think it is a daily struggle to die to our selfish desires and commit to live like Christ. And we do have to commit. It does not come naturally to die to self, especially in our culture of immediate gratification.

Paul said, “And as for us, why do we endanger ourselves every hour? I die every day--I mean that, brothers--just as surely as I glory over you in Christ Jesus our Lord. If I fought wild beasts in Ephesus for merely human reasons, what have I gained? If the dead are not raised, ‘Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we die.’”  (1 Corinthians 15:30-32)

In the study, Kyle Idleman said he spray painted the words “Die Daily” in his closet to serve as a daily reminder. That really stuck with me. It made me think about all the times I have to die daily to truly follow Jesus. Going to church. Tithing. Not gossiping about someone. Choosing to love and forgive those who hurt me. Dying daily.

Luke 9:23 says, “And he said to all, ‘If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me.’” It is a daily ritual to die to self. To die daily. To be fully committed to Christ. To be like Him. We all fall short of the glory of God, but it is such a balancing act to follow the narrow path and stay off onto the broad path. It is a monthly battle. Weekly. Daily. Hourly. To die to self. But the reward is great.

“For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it.” ~ Mark 8:35 ~

No comments: