Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thirteen for Thursday

(via)
1. I've been reading Big Mama's blog for a while now and I just love how she writes. She is so honest and funny. I'm most excited about her new book about marriage, The Antelope in the Living Room. I have a passion for marriage and her words just speak right to my heart. I just love her response to why she wrote this book: 
"Because it’s often in those hard moments that we are becoming the person God created us to be. We’re dying to self and learning what it means to forgive and sharing all the triumphs and struggles that life can bring with another human being. It’s in the simple chaos and absurdities of everyday life that you and your husband are weaving a legacy for your family... 
I want it to be a reminder that marriage is funny and fragile and hard and wonderful all at the same time. It’s God’s gift to us and sometimes I think we can all use to remember that it is worth fighting for."
2. I lost interest in American Idol a few years ago when Simon Cowell left. But I started watching again and I'm obsessed! Keith Urban and Harry Connick Jr. are hilarious and a bonus to all the awesome talent. There is even a contestant from Farmington Hills, MI (my hometown). Woohoo! I'm definitely cheering her on along with all the other Michigan contestants. I love that there are so many! I was also so pleased to see Idol represent Detroit so well in the Detroit auditions.

(via)
3. One of my favorite blogs is Hooked on Houses and this house in Seattle is gorgeous. Bonus? It's on the water. Swwooooooon.

4. The world lost a great man. He was a co-worker of mine and I can honestly say that he impacted my life. As the president of our company so eloquently put it, "Some people taught me how to live. He taught me how to die." He was diagnosed with cancer and given a few months to live. He could have felt sorry for himself, but he never did. He was ready to meet Jesus. He was so at peace with dying. He had no regrets in his life. He even saw the good in his circumstances. He was thankful God gave him time to mend things with family members and tell every single one of his family and friends how much they meant to him. He spent more time making other people comfortable with his diagnosis. He wasn't scared to talk about death. In fact, he was so open about death. It was an incredible thing to witness. Thank God for eternal hope. He is no longer suffering and he finally met Jesus. See ou

5. Garth and I watched Planes over the weekend and it was such a cute movie! I don't think I'll ever tire of good animation movie. I love good, clean fun!


6. The advantage to being sick all weekend was getting to watch all the Olympic coverage. I pretty much laid on the couch with Manny on top of me Friday night until Sunday night. Garth and I are really getting into it, especially figure skating and slope style. I loved the Opening Ceremony and I just love hearing the Olympians' stories and routing for them. Also, why do they all have such cool names? Sarka? Sage? Ty?

7. I think Garth and I are finally out of this sickness. Gosh, it was brutal! I teased Garth for having a "man cold" and then it hit me and it was no joke. I definitely ate my words.

8. This article about a fallen officer's fellow soldiers taking his daughters to the Daddy Daughter Dance. Sob. It is such a beautiful story. I was just mindlessly browsing Facebook and saw this and got all teary.


9. It has been cold here. This morning my phone said "-5, feels like -15." Oh okay. That makes me want to get out of my warm bed. NOT. I have been burning my Paradise Flower candle non stop to pretend I'm in the tropics. Sometimes I even imagine seeing green grass outside to trick myself. Yeah, I think it's safe to same I'm ready for summer! Garth and I are we even talking about this summer we won't take the gorgeous days for granted. We will be outside as much as possible and never complain if it's hot. Ha!

10. It has been quite an adjustment going from having something every single night of the week last year to only one night a week with something. It's amazing, but still an adjustment. We are just relishing the time not having to rush home from work and scramble out the door again. It is nice to just be. To take time and cook after work, play with Manny, leisurely talk about our day and read a good book. It's a new season and I'm most definitely soaking it up!



11. I haven't talked much about Manny on here. He is just the sweetest thing. He loves to cuddle with me and loves playing with Garth. He is not really digging the snow, it's more of an annoyance to him. He misses chases leaves, to be honest. I really hope he loves water because I have big dreams of taking him to the lake a lot this summer. We are seriously considering an electric fence because the only place he can run and play is the deck and that is just lame. We have a great yard for him, we just gotta make it safe. Our biggest fear is him darting into the woods and he'd be gone. He does love going for walks, but with the freezing temps he hasn't had one in a while. Poor guy! We love him so much it's probably not healthy... or normal. I can't believe it took us so long to finally adopt a dog, but I'm so glad we did. He fits into our little family perfectly.

12. We are going ice skating on Saturday. After all this Olympic figure skating I'm super pumped! Though I know it's going to be a sight. I mean, I trip over my own feet so adding sharp blades and a slick surface is sure to be entertaining.


13. I had to take a picture of the screen in our car the other day because that is my life. I'm crazy for this G. My G. We will be married 6 years on Sunday, how crazy is that?! Time sure flies when you're in love!

1 comment:

Rebecca Jo said...

I just ordered that book this morning! Hear its wonderful!