Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thirteen on Thursday

1. Garth and I had small group last Tuesday night at our friend's house. They made homemade tortilla chips with fish tacos. Holy yum! I don't think I could ever go back to store bought tortilla chips again. 

2. Speaking of small group, we have a new couple joining our group and we are excited to see what God has in store for our little group. I'm making enchilada soup and corn bread for our dinner meet and greet this week. If it turns out well I will share the recipe.

3. Last Thursday and Friday Garth and I were at SpringHill Camp in northern Michigan for a work retreat. It brought back a lot of memories from ten years ago when I was a camp counselor at the Indiana campus. 

4. The retreat was actually really awesome. I always get nervous and awkward in large groups, but this year was about being authentic. Defining success in your work and personally. Building each other up to reach your full potential.  

5. The personal success aspect of the retreat really hit home for me since I'm on a journey to being comfortable in my own skin. The speakers spoke about how our mistakes always seem right in front of our face and we forget about our successes and strengths. That is why it's so important to surround ourselves with people who love us. Encourage us. Remind of us our strengths. I love that and I'm so thankful I have people in my life who do this for me.



6. Speaking of work, I won the "Grab the Bull by the Horns" Award at work yesterday!

7. Yesterday my boss' wife taught yoga on our lunch break for anyone interested. I am more of a cardio/walking kind of gal, but I have it a try. Holy. Mother. Of. Pearl. It was the most intense workout I have done. I was dripping in sweat. My arms. My butt. My legs. They are all just so sore it hurts to move. Yoga is hard, people. Respect!

8. I took Monday off to get a Physical and to spend the day with my mom. I'm so glad I made the appointment and went to the doctor to make sure everything is good. I'm still waiting on results, but I'm so glad I went. I also had so much fun hanging out with my mom. We just don't get to do that enough. We shopped and planned for my SIL's baby shower. We went out to lunch. We grocery shopped at Costco and Trader Joe's. It was such a good day.

9. We are doing a series at church about Israel and it just makes me miss that amazing country so much. I went in 2005 and it changed my life. It changed my worldview. I fell head over heels in love with Israel and dream about the day I get to back. It was just such a special place for me. I can't even explain it properly. The people. The food. The scenery. The history. It is all just so good. So beautiful.



10. Garth and I went to dinner with a friend Friday night and shared the most incredible cheese fondue. We also got the wine flight which was fun. I have never had one before and it was yummy. 

11. My brother was in town from Chicago this weekend so we all went to my brother and SIL's house to celebrate my mom's birthday. It was so good to catch up and hang out with everyone. I ended up going home with my parents' since my doctor was close to them and spending the night Sunday night. It was so weird sleeping in my old bedroom. 

12. My dear friend from college moved back to Michigan and she came over for dinner Saturday night with her boyfriend. It was so good to catch up with her and meet her boyfriend. I made Baked Ziti and I'm still eating it for lunch days later. I love that. I should have froze half though because I still have quite a bit left and I'm getting tired of it. 

13. Speaking of frozen food, I made a huge batch of chicken chili last week and frozen half of it. I love having a quick, homemade meal in the freezer for those nights I don't feel like cooking.

1 comment:

Anne said...

maybe she can recommend a good yoga video?? all the ones I have are such snoozers.. glad you liked it!

and glad you had a good time with Kim & Louie, I'm sure they loved the ziti!!