Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Awesome Breakfast Casserole

I have a new go-to breakfast casserole. I literally make this at least once a week because it's easy, only requires a few ingredients, and it is healthy and filling. The best part is how versatile it is.


Ingredients
1 12 oz. package Jimmy Dean 50% less fat Pork Sausage
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (lowfat)
1 cup Heart Smart Bisquick mix
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups skim milk
4 eggs



Directions
1. brown sausage and drain.
2. Arrange cheese and sausage in bottom of greased 9 x 13 pan.
3. In separate bowl, beat milk, eggs, Bisquick, salt, and pepper until smooth.
4. Pour mixture over cheese and sausage.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 - 35 minute, or until lightly browned.

178 calories / 9 g fat / 13.9 g protein / 12 servings (Source: SparkRecipes.com)

I have made this recipe a few times this way. The only modifications I made was using turkey sausage and I have never added the salt. I just don't think it is needed. I have made dozens of variations of this, but my favorite is 12 ounces of frozen broccoli instead of the sausage. Most recently I used ricotta cheese I had leftover from a pasta recipe, peppers, onion and Parmesan cheese. I told ya you could use anything! This version was good, but next time I will use goat cheese instead.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

yum! that sounds so yummy...and I love how you can switch it up so many different ways!