Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Five Years of Marriage: What Marriage has Taught Me

I did a version of this a couple years ago, but thought it was time for a new edition. You may see a bit of overlap, but this is what I have learned in my five years of marriage...


Never grow out of holding hands and hugging.

Marriage is hard. But it is the most rewarding thing I’ve ever done.

Always kiss good morning and good night.

Never stop laughing together. Be goofy. Quote movie lines. Bring up inside jokes.

You must protect your marriage. No one else will.

Respect your husband. This means keeping quiet when you are lost and letting him find his way back.

Dress up. Look good for him and let him show you off.

Love is not a feeling. I believe "love never fails" (1 Corinthians 13:8). It may take some work, but we are together ‘til death does us part.

When in doubt, just buy Garth socks.

I love Garth now more than I ever did on our wedding day. I know it’s cliché, but it’s true.

It is important to always be trying new things. Play a new game. Explore a city you have never been to before. Try a new restaurant. Go to a movie. Double date with friends. Walk a new neighborhood.

Never hesitate to admit when you are wrong. Be quick to forgive and forget.

Marriage isn’t 50/50. It’s 100/100. You both have to give it everything you got or it just won’t work.

Surround yourself with people who support your marriage. Encourage you. Love you and will offer sound, Biblical advice.


Now it's your turn! What has marriage taught you?

No comments: