Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Wedding Wednesday



After last week's performance I realized the true meaning of being a supportive wife. It was always easy being supportive for Garth because he is just one of those really secure, optimistic, Godly people that feel confident in the way they live their lives and don't care what other people think. What is that like?! I wish I was more like Garth. I try really hard to be confident and not care what people think, but it is extremely difficult for me. I'm a people pleaser.

It was a whole new ballgame when it came to Garth playing music in front of a crowd. This was a major insecurity for him. It was his biggest fear. The lyrics he wrote and the music he performed were his soul and revealing that to a crowd terrified him. He did care what people thought of his music. His voice. His lyrics.

The night before the performance he had an anxiety attack. He felt insecure and unprepared and was ready to cancel. I had never seen him like this in my six years of knowing him. I tried to be as supportive as I could. I uttered things like "You know I'm your biggest fan and think you are incredibly talented" and "You are always your biggest critic, but you really are good."

After I said what I needed to say he went back downstairs to practice. I kept my distance, but prayed fervently for him. I went downstairs about two hours later to make him go to bed. At this point I knew he was prepared and was just overthinking it all. He needed rest. He came to bed and I prayed for him.

Friday he was still a bit freaked out, but confided in his friend performing with him. His friend's words comforted him (even though I said the same thing!). Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else. I get that. He conquered his fear that night and conquered a huge insecurity I didn't even know he had.

I learned the importance of supporting your spouse from this experience. As spouses, we truly have the influence to empower our spouses to become all they were created to be. I know that sounds cheesy, but it is so true. We can either build them up or break them down so we must use our influence carefully.

2 comments:

Café Moka said...

You are so right, it's so important to support each other!

Happy Wednesday!

Linnea said...

Very well said.