Thursday, October 20, 2011

Home Decor.

I had a revelation this weekend: It's not that I can't make up my mind on decorating the house, it's that as soon as I find something I like Garth interjects with disagreement about my choices. THIS is the reason our house is still bare and that ten months later our walls are empty and the fireplace mantel is bare.






Enough was enough! So this past weekend I asked if I could pick out a few pieces for the house. It was time our house felt like a home... At least a little bit. Garth agreed on one condition: I was not allowed to ask his opinion. We went to Kohls and I found some pieces I was extremely excited about. Out of habit I asked Garth's opinion and he started to exclaim his distate, stopped himself, and told me to get what I wanted and not to ask him.


I wanted to finish up the hallway between the kitchen and living room. We had purchased a black and white flower picture from Ikea. I like it, but the other side of the wall was bare and bugging me. I fell in love with this flower piece at Kohls and had to have it. Garth really hated it and I almost didn't buy it because of that. But I knew I would regret it so I just bought it. Garth hung it up and loved the way it looked. Seriously! He kept saying, "Wow you have such great taste!" I could not have been more proud.



Next, the fireplace mantel. I picked out some fall items, but what I was most excited about the African animals. I have been on the search for some for a while with no luck. I wanted a little taste of South Africa in my house. I LOVED these. LOVE. I adore how the fireplace mantel looks (finally!).
Close-up:I am trying to be more of a seasonal decorator so when I saw these little pumpkin candles I had to have them. They are a nice touch and smell amazing!The last thing I did was take a blank picture frame I had laying around and cut out a housewarming card I had received. The picture quality is bad, but it says "There is No Place Like Home."

It's a good start and I couldn't be happier with it!

15 comments:

Anne said...

looks great! maybe someday you can add more animals that you picked up in S Africa :) we made the tortilla soup last night, mmmm, thanks!

Shannon Dew said...

Looks great! I love the key holder you have!

Erin said...

Looks great!! Love the mantel! :)

Lauren said...

looks great! I remember when we first moved into our house I finally looked at Nick and said..."I'm taking this much money, and going to buy some decor for the house. Unless you absolutely hate it, keep your mouth shut! ha!" I think that's part decorating!

Unknown said...

What a great idea, framing a housewarming card! I think I may steal that idea :)

Jules said...

The mantle looks really cute and I like the cute little pumpkin decorations.

Café Moka said...

It totally looks great! Good job!

Anonymous said...

looks great! where did you get your key holder! that is super awesome!

Lauren said...

LOVE!!!!!!!! :)

Kenya said...

Left you have a blog award on my post!

Amanda said...

I love the new decorations! Especially like the cute African animals.

I have the same issue with decorating in our house, I ask my husband's opinion and if he says no, I just don't buy it usually. Sometimes though, you just have to bite the bullet and it all works out in the end!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Looks very homey! :)

Anonymous said...

It all looks great! The flower wall piece is beautiful. You do have good taste! Ha! I like the little pumpkins above your key holder too. It's the little things = )

LWLH said...

Looks great....love the flower piece : )

Perfectly Imperfect said...

I eventually learned to just do what I want and ask later. Most of the time, hubs likes what I do. And even when he doesn't? He doesn't hate it enough to do anything about it. win ;)