Monday, April 19, 2010

Happenings.

01. Small group is going really well. Last Monday we did a service project together and then went out for sushi and fried cookie dough.
02. Last Tuesday we played doubles tennis with our small group. So fun!

03. On Wednesday Garth and I went to the bank and got pre-approved for a loan for a house. I know we have been really wishy-washy on the house situation but after a lot of prayer and discussions we decided we want to stay in Michigan. We have family and friends here, a church we love, and good jobs. Maybe Michigan isn't so bad after all. So for the next 5 years or so we think we would like to stay here. We love the ocean and warm weather, but you can't beat summers in Michigan. There is nothing like them. And the winters, well they aren't so bad. I mean, what are vacations for, right?;)

04. We are officially house hunters and it's been a bit overwhelming. Our lease is up at the end of June and the tax credit for first-time home buyers expires at the end of the month so we feel a little pressure. But we aren't buying a house for the tax credit, we can still take advantage of the market with the low interest rate and low price. As for our lease, we can always go month to month or sign a six month lease. We realize this is a huge decision and we don't want to rush into anything.

05. This weekend was so restful, yet productive. Friday night we drove by a few houses we really liked. My dad gave us great advice to drive by houses we liked before taking our realtor to make sure we like the area first so we don't waste the realtor's time. Best. advice. ever. The first house backed up to a major road that had huge corporations right across the street. The second house was right next door to a trailor park. The third house was in a run down subdivision. We scratched those houses of the list and felt really bummed out.

06. Saturday we slept in, grocery shopped, Garth grilled a yummy dinner and we watched The Blind Side. I loooooved that movie!

07. Sunday we went to church and out to lunch with the family. Afterwards we went to drive by some more houses we liked and this time it went better. But it started off bad. We drove to this house that was big and gorgeous and I was writing down notes about the backyard when a car came down the street like a bat out of hell and almost hit our car...and pulled in to the house across the street. He got out with a cigarette hanging from his mouth, his hair in a pony tail, dingy clothes on and an angry look on his face as he made his way into his house. Ummm I don't think I want this guy as my neighbor. He almost hit my car the way he was driving so fast. That could of been my dog or my CHILD. I know all too well from our first apartment that bad neighbors can ruin a good thing. We crossed the house off the list.

08. We drove by both my parents' old houses which was really fun to show Garth where I grew up. Then we hit the jackpot. We fell in love with five houses in two different subdivisions that we really felt like we could raise a family. The subdivisions had sidewalks, were a short walk to a great downtown, and had huge trees along the road. I was imagining walking the stroller downtown for coffee and Garth was imagining teaching our son to ride his bike down the streets. It was the feeling I always wanted to get when I saw houses that I just wasn't getting from the other places.

09. We are going to see these houses this week with our realtor and I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high. I know it can't be that easy...We shall see.

41 comments:

Erin said...

Good luck with the house hunting!!

Liz said...

I'm so excited for you, girl! Househunting is so stressful but also so fun!

Sounds like you have some great options to see. Keep us posted!

AmyT said...

first off...that dessert looks so yummy!! Glad your group is going good!!! I LOVED the blind side - great movie!!! AND CONGRATS!!!! I hope you find your dream home!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Totally normal feelings while house hunting. I felt all of that during our search. It took us a long time and we walked through a LOT of homes before we finally fell in love with ours. It's a great feeling when that happens and makes home ownership that much sweeter. So excited for you guys...can't wait to see what you decide on :)

Natalie said...

Fried cookie dough? Yum! Good luck house hunting. It can be stressful but once you find the "one" it is so worth it!

Amy Silver said...

Househunting is SOO exciting! Good luck and you never know if it could be the right one, but if not, just keep in mind there are a MILLION others out there :) You will find the perfect one and it will be worth the wait!

Unknown said...

Umm, fried cookie dough?? I want some!

I'maNolaGirl said...

House hunting! How exciting!!! And wasn't Blind Side the best. Loved it!

Anne @ Sincerely, Britches said...

Fried Cookie Dough? Wow. That sounds LUSH! :)

Happy house hunting! There's always Kalamazoo...we have plenty of houses this direction!

Patience said...

Good Luck with the house hunting. There are so many good deals out there right now.

THE Stephanie said...

So impressed with your view on house hunting. We're looking to move next year and I'm so excited I'm worried I'll just want the first house I see! LOL.

Good luck!!

Gwen said...

How exciting!!! I can't wait to see your final pick on the house!!! YAY!! XOXO

Anonymous said...

Yay for house hunting! Have a Great Day!

Lucky in Love said...

Girl, I feel for you! Your situation sounds exactly like ours. Living in the freezing Mid West and wanted to move somewhere warm..but having good jobs, a good church, and friends where you are now. We just decided to stay as well and we searching and searching for a house to get the tax credit. We finally decided to build and although we are not getting the credit...we are happy with our decision. I am praying and wishing that you will be too!!

Jen Caputo said...

How exciting that you are finally officially house hunting. It is so fun and you will miss it when it's over (even if it stresses you out while you are doing it). My brother just got pre-approved as well and is also hunting now! Can't wait to see what you pick!

Melissa said...

First, fried cookie dough....YUM!!

Also, good luck on house hunting!

The Pink Chick said...

I can't wait to hear about the houses! Good luck house hunting. It can be stressful, but it is oh so much fun too! I love looking at all the different houses!

Kate said...

So fun!! Can't wait to hear updates on the househunting project.

LWLH said...

That's great, good luck with the house hunting!!

Ginger said...

Good luck with the house hunt it can be overwhelming at times but just remember the end result is worth it.

Sarah said...

Oh, fun!! I wish I could do house shopping. *pouts* That's what I get for having a hubby in the military, though! lol

5th Belle Avenue said...

HOW EXCITING!!! This is such an amazing time in your life. Enjoy the process!! I can't wait to see what God has in store for you two!

Tara Gibson said...

congrats on the approval of the loan and good luck on the house hunting! I know you will find your perfect house!

Alissa said...

Awesome congrats on being approved for houses and good luck with the hunt!

Fried cookie dough um yum why have I not heard of such a glorious thing?

Meg said...

oh wow...that fried cookie dough looks heavenly! ;)

Congrats on being approved for a home loan. Take your time picking out a house and really love it - you'll certainly pay for it! ;)

JennyLee said...

So excited for you!!! BTW, I'm having issues waiting until your next fitness update to hear about Body For Life. Email me! jennylee.gentry@gmail.com ;)

Unknown said...

Being near family, friends and a good church is worth staying somewhere not so perfect! :-) Good luck with the house hunt!

ELP said...

I loved house hunting! Hope you enjoy it too!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

How fun...and good luck with the househunting! And what is fried cookie dough? Never had it...but MAND does it look and sound good!! Yummy! :)

Blessings!

Jamie said...

I've never heard of fried cookie dough but it looks amazing!

Good luck house hunting...it can be stressful but I know y'all will find your perfect house!

Brittany Ann said...

WOW! So exciting! I can't wait to hear where you all end up! Praying for you!

Blair @ Reasonably Swanky said...

YAAAY! How exciting. Even when I am not house hunting I still love to look. It's so fun. Brannon and I drove around yesterday and walked thru a few houses. I can't wait to see how things pan out!
xo
Blair

Lauren said...

Good luck...hope things go extremely well this week!

Anonymous said...

I loved the Blind Side as well. Such a great movie.

Good luck with house hunting!

Sarah Louise said...

Good luck, and have fun with the house hunting!!!!

Dana said...

Good luck on your house hunt. It is fun but can be stressful. Take it all in stride.

Saskia said...

We're househunting at the moment too - it's so exciting but nerve-wrecking too! I hope it goes smoothly for you guys.

S x

Kate said...

Fried cookie dough...? WHAT? Sounds so bad for you and so delicious at the same time!

That is good advice from your dad about driving past the houses first! I will have to remember that!

I understand that you feel pressured to pick a house but take a deep breath and remember that God is in control of everything and His timing is perfect.

Jules said...

It sounds like you have a lot going on, but it’s all good stuff. Congrats on getting pre-approved for a house and good luck with the hunt. I can’t wait to see what you two end up getting. It will all be worth it in the end :)

Fried cookie dough sounds ah-mazing! YUM! All the photos are so cute.

Anonymous said...

Fried cookie dough? My heart HURTS at the phrase, but my tongue is curious...it sounds AMAZING...I've honestly never seen/heard of/had it! Mmm.

Good luck house hunting! How exciting about the pre-approval! I went through that almost exactly a month ago while my hubby was in Iraq...but it was still a really exciting time for us! House hunting can be SO exciting and SO frustrating. You'll have ups and downs, but "what's mean to be will be"! :) Good luck!

Lauren said...

I am catching up on your posts all out of order, haha!!!! Happy house hunting. God already knows yours house before you're going to buy it. Think of it like this, he already knows which sidewalk Garth is going to teach his son how to ride his bike :)

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE The Blindside :)